Sunday, April 1, 2012

Plastic Framin Lovin'

About a month ago, I purchased a new pair of glasses for myself for 2012 and who-knows-how-long beyond. With a new career, comes fresh money. With fresh moolah, comes funky fresh purchasing power to spend on...plastic frames.



I had purchased my first plastic frames 2 years ago. However, either because they were too heavy for me, or too unwieldy, they just felt very uncomfortable for my face and eyes. Or it could just be the uncle running the neighbourhood spectacles store (and who made them), was not very good with his craft. 

After a few weeks (of going back to the store several times to make adjustments to the frames), I went up to him and said something along the lines of, "This ain't working for me." I really wanted to love those frames. I had chosen it in my favourite colour and all, and my dad somehow had found himself charmed (more like coerced) to cover the relatively high cost price of it, lol. But, those frames were causing havoc to my eye vision. So on that fateful semi-confrontational showdown day with my neighbourhood's shop uncle, he gamely changed my frames to an entirely new one, at no extra charge. He hand-picked a single colour and design, and once he finished fitting my lenses into those blood-red looking (the irony!) coloured frames, handed them over to me with a final & decided air. With such an abrupt introduction to this face accessory, I grew to make amends, and live peacefully? with it for the next 2 years, as captured in the blog banner pic above, and other pics below:



I grew to love and appreciate the look and solidity of lightweight plastic frames.


However, during the course of the two years, I felt that my vision was deteriorating. Again, I highly suspect the made-by-that-certain-neighbourhood-uncle factor. I was frequently getting mini migranes in more recent times and my eyes constantly looked tired. I knew it was time for a change. And that meant going on the hunt for the ownership of my second pair of plastic frames.

Fast forward to the month of March this year. I had sourced a couple of optical stores already, and really wanted to get an Anna Sui design from one of them. But alas, they could not guarantee that I would not face the same problems as my first short-lived plastic frame without the pre-installed nose rests for the blood-red one I walked into the stores with- only that the average plastic frames would likely be very annoying for a person with a kinda oily face and no significantly raised nose-bridge.

Then, thank the spectacle gods, I came across Spectacle Hut!!


Not only did they have tons, and I mean TONS of choices of eyewear design for plastic frames (check out their cool Dior zebra-inspired frames, from the latest collection), they had the ad-hoc service of installing nose rests on them! I was looking for leopard spotted eyewear design, but settled for a tortoise-shell one, as it came close to it, and  I digged the rectangular-cateye winged tip aesthetic at the front, and the floral motifs at the sides. I have mad love for nature motifs, especially floral ones you see.





And, the service of Spectacle Hut's staff was awesome. They really go out of their way to accommodate the customer's individual needs. Notwithstanding that I  managed to shave off a bit more of the price after the15-20% storewide sale discount that was ongoing during my time of purchase, the staff patiently explained to me the choices I had for the type of lenses (I went with ZEISS Clarity lens: 100% UV protection, and it's like, a brand used for satellites), the thickness of my lens and pricings (the thinner the lens, the lighter and more expensive. However, if it was too thin, it wouldn't really fit into my plastic frames properly) and coupled with  the degree of astigmatism to add to to the pricing. You see how customized a single person's lens and frames can be?? 

Of course, I had my eye degree checked again, it turns out my astigmatism went up by two steps :( and my overall degree lessened for one eye while slightly increased for the other.

[Me looking pensive, a contest submission for RWS' James Morrison contest :D]

It's been quite a journey in search of the perfect eyewear-making experience, and I think I just might have come full circle at Spectacle Hut. It was really important for me to get it done right for once, especially as my new career involves a lot of eye usage (editorial work) and, it might just be the last pair of glasses I own for the next few years before, I don't know, I go for a Lasik procedure or something. 

In the meantime, here's to good eye habits and diet (just recently bought eye nutrition supplements: CarotoMax by Shaklee). Am proud to become a tortise-shell spectacle wearer, as I can now add meself to this motley list of characters :

[the 'adorkable' Zooey Deschanel in New Girl TV series]

[Emma Stone in The Help movie]
.
.
.
Of course, not forgetting,

[the king of hipster cool, Mr Johnny Depp as himself. :DD]
.
.
.

[Meself as meself FTW. :DDD]

No comments:

Post a Comment